Monday, February 26, 2018

Women's Lives and Relationships Annotation

Image result for between a mother and her child by elizabeth noble
                                                               Author:                                Elizabeth Noble

                                                                Title:      Between a Mother and Her Child

                                                                Genre:  Women’s Lives and Relationships

                                                                Publication Date:              2013

                                                                Pages:   448

                                                                Geographical Setting:     London, England

                                                                Time Period:      Present day

                                                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plot Summary
Isolating herself and others, Maggie Barrett grieves the unexpected death of her oldest son, Jake, pushing away her husband, Bill and teen daughter, Aly in the process.  Through her trusted sister, Liv’s unconventional answer to an ad, she enlists the help of Kate Miller, a “rent-a-granny” companion for the struggling household.  Kate seems to be the healer of all wounds, from troubled Aly and estranged Bill to desperate Maggie.  Invading privacy in search of truth, Aly discovers Kate’s secret and as the family “fixer” tries to heal her beloved rent-a-granny, Kate. 
Subject Headings
Sons, Death, Bereavement, Marriage, Fiction
Appeal
Tone/ Mood
Witty and deep:  Elizabeth Noble deeply explores every angle of the nuclear family’s division.  The reader feels the character weaknesses, nervousness and excitement at each phase of the relationships’ study, “…authors, by their intention and direction, create a range of books that deal with similar, always difficult and emotional topics,” (Saricks 157).  Saricks goes on to explain that while some authors provide only a “casual look at an issue,” others explore issues and possibilities (157).  Noble details Maggie’s anger  and then warmth with Bill, her frustration and then closeness with Aly, her love of her sister and closeness with Stan.  “Maggie knew Aly had withdrawn herself emotionally from her mother.  And, for now, it was easier not to fight it, however much it hurt,” (Noble 33).
Noble adds sarcasm and light humor to intense situations, strengthening the emotional link between the readers and the characters, while providing a very personal look inside the characters’ lives, “Don’t make me [Aly] laugh.  I’m trying to pee on a very narrow stick [pregnancy test] here….” (Noble 298).
Characterization
This genre explores the life of female protagonist and her relationships (Saricks 157): Between a Mother and Her Child explores the life of fragile Maggie, the protagonist, and her complex relationship with her distant daughter, challenged son, beloved sister, estranged husband, live in granny Kate and boyfriend.  Throughout the trials and drama, Maggie learns how to love her children in the face of disaster and reassure them in the midst of unavoidable change, “The love tween a mother and her child, or between a father and his child, cannot ever, ever be changed.  Not by anything…nothing,” (Noble 379).
Story Line
“Novels in this genre examine themes of concern special to women,” (Saricks 158).  In this domestic drama, Elizabeth Noble celebrates the family life of Maggie and her children through grieving the death of Jake, accepting the birth of Carrie’s baby [Bill’s new girlfriend], , “Our [Maggie and Bill] lives are not connected in this way anymore…” (Noble 311), and fearing Aly’s possible pregnancy, “I [Maggie] could never hate you, silly girl.  Little thing called unconditional love,” (Noble 293).
Style/ Language
Conversational dialogue and the inclusion of emails and letters, aide in telling the personal story of the central characters, (Saricks 156).  Noble uses Liv’s bouncy, energetic character to lighten the mood; upon arrival from Australia, Live declares that she’s, “Smelly, knackered and starving” (Noble 62). Aly and her boyfriend, Ryan, correspond almost exclusively through emails  (Noble 102) and Kate writes a heart-felt letter to her disconnected daughter, Rebecca, expressing regret and hope, “I’m [Kate] writing for the first time in a long time because I hope that maybe there’s a chance you feel a little differently  about me and about what has happened between us,” (Noble 355).
Read Alikes
Image result for home front by kristin hannah
 Home front(2012) by Kristin Hannah
Jolene and Michael, in a fragile12- year marriage, are forced to endure Jolene’s tour of duty to Iraq.  Michael, angry that Jolene has been deployed, leaving him to juggle parenthood with his legal practice, begins to understand all that he has taken for granted when Jolene’s helicopter crashes.  Similar to Between a Mother and Her Child, the protagonist in Home Front must rebuild herself and her relationships following disaster. 
Image result for the bright forever by lee martin
 The Bright Forever (2006) by Lee Martin
The Mackey family, glassworks owners and envied in their small Indiana town for their wealth and good looks encounter unspeakable tragedy when their nine year old Katie Mackey rides her bike to the library, but never returns.  In a community of shady neighbors with questionable histories, Katie’s older brother desperately tries to gain his father’s praise while seeking the truth behind Katie’s death.  Similar to Between a Mother and Her Child, in The Bright Forever, a family is torn apart with the death of their young child and a sibling struggles to mend the wounds.  
Image result for two by two by nicholas sparks
Two BY Two (2017) by Nicholas Sparks
Russell Green has a seemingly perfect life; a beautiful wife, loving young daughter, successful career and large home, until, unexpectedly, Russell finds himself thrown into the role of single parenthood and jobless.   Like Between a Mother and Her Child, Two By Two is a story of a family adjusting to extreme change and the ever powerful unconditional love.

Works Cited
Noble, Elizabeth.  Between a Mother and Her Child, Berkley Books, 2012.
Saricks, Joyce. The Readers’ Advisory Guide to Genre Fiction, American Library Association, 2009.






16 comments:

  1. For some reason, any book that is grouped under the subject "Women's Lives" makes me a little crazy. I feel like they play to the lowest common denominator in women sometimes. That said, this book sounds kind of interesting and like something I would enjoy, especially if it wasn't listed under the "women's issues" header. Your synopsis and appeal factors are spot-on and well-discussed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand....this book balanced the needy character of Maggie, with her strong-willed, independent sister. Maggie's character development from a mental mess [understandably], to functioning and rebuilding was refreshing. Maggie's vivacious sister added much needed humor. It was a good read, overall. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. April,
    Good point....I don't usually read this genre ...it was kind a slower pace, which I'm ok with, but felt so...wishy washy at times [technical term?]. The questions of whether the separated husband and wife would rekindle their relationship, and then the introduction of the girlfriend and boyfriend...even though Maggie and Bill were still, well, married...left me a bit unsettled. I enjoyed, mostly, the mother/ daughter relationship and the sister relationship developments in the novel. I always appreciate insight into parenting....even from fictional characters. =)
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was interesting to see that this book used an epistolary element. I remember reading that this is a common feature of the genre but it was something that was lacking from the Elizabeth Berg novel I read. I do think one of the read-alikes I listed used a letter/journal element, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Craig....the epistolary element was actually a substantial part of the plot involving the teenage daughter and her romantic relationship. I think it's appropriate, especially when dealing with teens, as that is how they so often communicate. Adding emails, in that regard, I think helps parents of the techy generation to relate to the storyline. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your annotation was quite interesting and some of your read-alikes sound like something I would pick up and read (I am actually reading my first Kristin Hannah novel right now). This book would probably make me nervous to read because I have a son- the subject matter might be too much for sensitive me! Great annotation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about the sensitivity. I'm been watching my mom fade away from dementia over the past few years and I was so interested to see how Maggie would cope with the loss...and hoping to gain some good ideas as well...but, sadly, I can't move away to sunny Australia for a fresh start. ha. It was a good read, though...I enjoyed the humor, in particular.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Lisa. Great work on your annotation. You did a thorough job summarizing the book for us and you chose some very appropriate read-alikes. I was drawn to your summary when you mentioned one character was a "rent-a-granny". That tickled me because I am "Granny" to my 2 grandkids. (Hmmm...wonder if I could rent myself out? ~ha~)

    I, like several of the commenters, don't read this genre very often. I just am not typically drawn to the titles...not really sure why. It's kind of funny because I do enjoy movies that are made from some of these titles (like those by Nicholas Sparks, et. al.) Anyway, great work...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristi,
      Thanks for your note...I loved LOVED the idea of rent a granny.... and even thought about looking in the classifieds for such an add while I was reading this novel. My kids' biological grandparents are not present for them [many reasons] and we have adopted some local grandparents....which worked out well when they were young, but, I think I need a live -in rent a granny now. ha.
      thanks again.
      lisa

      Delete
    2. This book sound kind of interesting. I have the same question as April about the pace. If it's wishy washy, are there parts that are depressing that could make me cry?

      Delete
  7. After reading several annotations from this genre, I am struck by the number of common themes that seem to pop up. One of the other annotations about a Danielle Steel book deals with the death of a son, and the book I read was an epistolary novel. Especially for women's lives and relationships genre, but also in general, epistolary can give us deep insights into often several characters, and it feels very intimate.
    You have also introduced me to a new author, which is always so helpful. I have many patrons who have read through just about everything in the mainstream, and I am always looking for off-the-beaten-path names. I can't wait to research this author a little bit more and match her up with some of my patrons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy,
      Great! Glad the annotation helped. I think the epistolary was especially important in developing the teen child's character, as teens are comfortable communicating through texts and emails. The reader gets to know Aly better, with use of epistolary elements. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. What a powerful topic. I have heard of other book with this topic, but it's an important topic to cover. The pain of losing a child is so hard for parents, especially if the child is young. I can imagine this being an emotional read. Great annotation. You were very thorough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carter,
      Thanks. I was curious to see how Maggie would overcome this devastating hardship that seemed to have hit her more severely than it did her husband, Bill. Maggie had a lot of losses, but, the story line was softened with humor, that, certainly, helped Maggie overcome some of her despair.

      Delete
  9. What a great review. The topic of losing a loved one is always difficult and relatable to everyone at some point in our lives. The read-a-likes are also very interesting and I'll have to look Home Front up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent annotation, full points!

    ReplyDelete

Week 16 Prompt

Week 16 Prompt The Trend of Children’s Books One of my favorite childhood books was [and still is] Make Way for Ducklings by Rober...

Secret Shopper